Expert Garbage Disposal Repair & Replacement in Madison, WI
Garbage disposals have become essential in most kitchens today, offering both cleanliness and eco-friendliness by reducing odors and minimizing landfill waste. However, proper maintenance is crucial for optimal functionality, like any household appliance. If you’re experiencing issues with your garbage disposal in Madison, Action Plumbing, Heating, A/C and Electric is here to help.
With over two decades of experience, we specialize in garbage disposal repair, maintenance, and installation services for homes, commercial kitchens, and institutions in the Madison-Dane County region. Trust your favorite Madison plumber to fix your garbage disposal effectively and efficiently.
There are subtle signs your garbage disposal may not be performing well. Just because it turns on and works may not mean all is well. Most manufacturers design garbage disposals to keep your sink free and clean from food and waste items removed before cooking. After grinding, water in the sink will flow free and drain normally. If water drains slowly or continues to back up even after using the disposal, that could mean that the teeth on the disposal have dulled and are not chopping correctly.
If you hear a loud grinding or rattling noise when the disposal runs, parts may need to be checked for damage. These could be loose, broken, or have fallen off and are trapped under the blades. If you are wondering if something is wrong, now is the time to call the Action team. A delay would only mean possible replacement if something is not working right.
We can also replace or upgrade your garbage disposal. Larger families, more meals prepared in the summer, increased entertaining, and the like all mean your garbage disposal is getting increased use. Here are some items to think about before you call us:
- Power: A one-half horsepower disposal works well grinding down smaller pieces of food, but if food is jamming up during use, or taking too much time to drain, consider a 0.75- to 1-horsepower unit.
- Longevity: Stainless steel parts are best. They resist corrosion and last much longer without rust than galvanized steel or plastic.
- Size: Each sink has a recommended garbage disposal size to avoid additional problems during operation. Vibrating countertops and improper draining to fit existing plumbing are not long-term decisions. Just make sure the disposal is the appropriate size for your sink.
- Accessories: We recommend disposal units that are complete for purchase. Some models require additional purchases, like power cords, covers, gaskets, or cranking wrenches.
Action Plumbing, Heating, A/C and Electric, Inc. will install your new disposal in one to two hours and can come back at any time for service issues that may arise. Call us at 608-837-3638 to schedule an appointment.
We want to make sure your garbage disposal runs right all the time. Reliable running life means you must focus on upkeep to avoid repair or replacement. Here are some of our top tips:
- A garbage disposal is not a trash can.
- Do not grind down rice, noodles, or other foods that can expand before cooking.
- Never throw metals, plastics, or bones into the disposal.
- Feed pieces into the disposal slowly, and do not overload.
- Keep the disposal teeth well lubricated by running cold water before, during, and after use.
- If the disposal motor isn’t turning on, it may be jammed.
- Use the cranking or Allen wrench to crank the disposal to clear the jam manually, then hit the reset button on the motor.
- Clean the disposal by running water through the unit with soapy water or grinding small peels of citrus fruits.
Call Action at 608-837-3638 for additional information about garbage disposals, maintenance, and prevention tips and questions.
What are signs that my garbage disposal needs replacement?
Signs that indicate the need for garbage disposal replacement can include frequent breakdowns, persistent clogs, leaks, strange noises, or an aging unit beyond its expected life span. Consulting a professional plumber can help assess the extent of the problem and determine if replacement is necessary.
Is it possible to repair a leaking garbage disposal?
Yes, it’s possible to repair a leaking garbage disposal by identifying the source of the leak, such as loose connections or worn-out seals, and addressing the issue accordingly. However, depending on the severity and age of the disposal, replacement may be a more cost-effective long-term solution.
What To Expect
Discover the Difference
100% Customer Satisfaction
100% Customer Satisfaction
We're in the business of keeping our customers satisfied with every repair, installation, and maintenance appointment we fulfill.
Our friendly and experienced technicians work their hardest to minimize all stress and disruption associated with service.
Same-Day Water Heater Installs
Same-Day Water Heater Installs
We know how stressful it is to be left without hot water, so we offer same-day water heater installation for your ultimate convenience.
You'll never go through unnecessary upsells with Action because we believe in providing maximum value for every customer.
As a family-owned business, we prioritize providing our neighbors with the best customer service in the industry.
Home services can sometimes be a challenge to finance, so we offer various online specials to put repairs and installation within reach.
What Our Clients Are Saying
Mike has lots of experience under his belt! He got down to the problem quick and get us our heat back within 2 hours including getting us the part needed for repair. Thank you Mike…-F. Arifin
I've had Action work on electrical and plumbing at my previous jobs as well as electrical, plumbing and heating and air conditioning in my home. Not once have I had a bad experience through the…-B. Richman
Our main sewer connection from the house to the septic system became clogged. Action was able to respond within 24 hours. Matt came and helped troubleshoot the issue with his helper. They determined there were…-R. Wolff
I have an old house that has been slowly trying to drive me insane. Thanks to everyone at Action! I consider myself pretty handy until it involves plumbing or electrical and that’s where Action steps…-K. Kay
Action has performed multiple repairs for us over 10 years, at two different homes. They've always been on time, professional, and efficient. We feel we're being charged a fair price for the work they do,…-J. Justice