Saving Energy At Home
Things You May Not Know!
What could you be doing differently this summer, fall, and winter to conserve energy and save money? Action Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning and Electric, Inc. has teamed up with Energy.gov and will be helping to educate you about conservation, and energy savings for your home and business. The US Department of Energy has begun a series of articles which will revolve around Energy and Water Conservation, and we are making this information available to you in this article about hot tips below. The first in a series, begins with how to save for the summer and fall. New technology means potential savings to you in the immediate future. Popular areas of savings discussed will be focused on:
- Tax Credits, Rebates, Savings
- Heating & Cooling
- Industrial Heating & Cooling
- Home Weatherization
- Appliances & Electronics
Check out these hot tips for getting started with the education process… Be sure to check back often for the next article on how to save more money and energy!
- Placing lamps or TV sets near your room air-conditioning thermostat can cause the air conditioner to run longer than necessary because the thermostat senses heat from the appliances. Set them apart and save energy.
- Lighting makes up about 10 percent of home energy costs. Save up to 75 percent of that energy by replacing incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs). They also last longer, saving money on replacements.
- If the last tip wasn’t enough reason to make the switch to CFLs, only about 10 to 15 percent of the electricity that incandescent lights consume results in light — the rest is turned into heat. Don’t believe me? Watch this.
- Running your air conditioning at 78°F instead of 72°F can save between 6 and 18 percent on your cooling bill. The smaller the difference between the indoor and outdoor temperatures, the lower your overall cooling bill will be, so set your thermostat as high as possible during the summer months.
- Well-planned landscaping isn’t just for aesthetics — properly placed trees around the house can save between $100 and $250 annually.
- On average, households lose about 20 percent of their heated and cooled air through the duct system to the outside. To avoid wasting energy, have your ducts inspected to ensure they’re sealed properly and insulated if necessary.
- If you use air conditioning, a ceiling fan will allow you to raise the thermostat setting about 4°F with no reduction in comfort. Just make sure to turn it off when you leave the room (fans cool people, not rooms).
- Heating water can account for 14 to 25 percent of the energy consumed in your home. Turn down the temperature of your water heater to the warm setting (120°F) and save energy (and avoid a surprise faucet-scalding).
- By using the microwave, toaster or a counter-top grill rather than an oven, you’ll use less energy and avoid excess heat that increases room temperature.
- Leaving a computer on all day can cost about 21 cents per day, or about $75 per year. Unplug electronics and appliances when not in use – a task made easier by using multiple-outlet strips, which can turn everything off with the flip of a switch.
- Programmable thermostats can save up to $150 a year on energy costs when used properly. Use one that can automatically turn off your cooling system when you are not home, and turn your system on in time for you to arrive home to a cooled house.
In Wisconsin, there are many opportunities for savings and Action Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning and Electric, Inc. is available to help you determine an energy profile for your home or office, and then set about determining a starting place to begin to save. For instance, did you know that appliances account for roughly 20 percent of the average single family home’s energy usage? Really! You can now go to the EPA and Energy Department websites and see which products the EPA and the Energy Department are recognizing as the most energy-efficient in their categories among those that have earned the Energy Star label. If you are considering replacement of any number of items on the list below, you can definitely save some money along the way. You have seen us discuss Energy Star products many times in the course of talking about new products you can install for your home or offices. For 20 years, ENERGY STAR products have helped Americans save energy, save money and reduce their carbon footprints. We invite you to explore globally recognized consumer brands which have transformed the market for energy-efficient products. We can help you save money, and increase the value of your home or property through education and skills in our industry. By providing superior customer service all along the way in the process of a remodel, redesign, or build, we help take the worry out of making a bad decision; and make sure you are headed towards savings.
By looking over the tips below, you may come across something you want to find out more about, or a technology to implement in your home or business that can get you started on your savings plan now. Many of the savings opportunities include:
- Agricultural Equipment
- Central Air conditioners
- Clothes Washers/Dryers
- Compressed air
- Custom/Others pending approval
- Duct/Air sealing
- Energy Mgmt. Systems/Building Controls
- Heat pumps
- Lighting Controls/Sensors
- Programmable Thermostats
- Water Heaters
Action Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning and Electric, Inc. would like an opportunity to discuss with you home smart systems and programs to change the way you use energy that can save you money. We all use energy and we think it is critical that we continue to encourage customers’ participation in these programs through outreach and education. Call us today, find out more about how to save money and still not break the bank. Call us today and schedule one of our qualified staff professionals to meet with you to discuss your current remodel or renovation. Here is our convenient location to serve you: Sun Prairie, WI: (608) 837-3638 when you need an expert for all your plumbing needs… Call us today and get started on making changes in your home!
Get action now by clicking here to schedule service online now!
to the rescue 24/7
Fill out the form below and one of our team members will reach out promptly to schedule your service.