Are You Cooling Your Home & Business Efficiently?
Summer Is Already Here
According to Energy Star, almost ½ of the energy you use in your home goes to heating and cooling. The electric bill tells all. Action Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning and Electric, Inc. wants to make sure you are doing all you can to make smart decisions about your HVAC right now for the 2014 summer season. This also includes heating things up for mid fall, ventilating, and preparing your complete HVAC system for this summer.
We want you to be comfortable while taking these necessary steps to increase the efficiency of your entire heating and cooling system. Here at Action Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning and Electric, Inc. we know you will find this article very helpful. Here are some special tips as we come in the heat of summer then into heating your home for winter.
Change Your Air Filters Regularly
Action Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning and Electric, Inc. recommends that take place monthly and most especially during heavy use months. A dirty filter will slow down the air flow and cause the entire system to work harder in keeping you cool and will waste energy. Keeping the filter clean will also help to prevent dust and dirt from building up. Filtrete™ makes Allergy grades of filters for those with allergies as well. A dirty filter may lead to expensive maintenance and/or early system failure. A very costly repair!
Tune Up Your HVAC Equipment Yearly
The HVAC System in your home is just like gas in your car. A tune up for your car helps you achieve better gas mileage, and so will a yearly tune up of your heating and cooling system. Thereby improving the overall efficiency and comfort. It’s all about saving you money over the life of the equipment.
Please Maintain Your Equipment
Action Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning and Electric, Inc. believes a checklist is best to keep your equipment running right. This will prevent future problems and additional unplanned costs. Peak performance means using a qualified contractor will complete an annual pre-season check up.
A general maintenance HVAC check up should include:
- Check all thermostat settings to ensure the cooling and heating system keeps you comfortable both while you are at home as well as at work or away.
- Make you all electrical connections are tight and measure voltage and current on all motors. This insure no faulty electrical connections which contribute to unsafe operation of your system and reduces component life.
- Liberally lubricate all moving parts. Parts that need adequate lubrication must be free to move inside the motor and will decrease the amount of electricity used which is great for equipment life and your bill.
- Check and inspect the condensate drain in your central air conditioner, furnace and/or heat pump (when in cooling mode). A plugged drain will definitely cause water damage in the house and affect indoor humidity levels.
- Check all system controls to ensure proper and safe operation. Check the starting cycle of the equipment to assure the system starts, operates, and shuts off properly. Hard starts are a sure sign you need to call your favorite Madison Plumber Action Plumbing Heating & HVAC right away.
- Clean evaporator and condenser air conditioning coils will make a big difference. Dirty coils reduce the system’s ability to cool your home and could mean the system will run longer to cool or heat, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Check your central air conditioner’s refrigerant level and adjust if needed. Did you know that too much or too little refrigerant will make your system less efficient increasing energy costs? It could also reduce equipment life.
- Proper cleaning and adjustment of blower components will provide manufacturer recommended system airflow which means greater comfort levels. Remember that a major airflow problem will reduce your system’s efficiency by/ up to 15 percent. That’s quite a difference.
Issues You Can Check
As us here at Action Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning and Electric, Inc. to show you how to change your filter. It seems so simple but easy to overlook.
Install a Programmable Thermostat
Many older homes have older thermostats. It’s an easy upgrade and if you work it can be of great benefit. Energy Star data indicates you can save up to $180 every year in energy costs with this item alone…This makes a considerable difference.
Seal Heating & Cooling Ducts
Ducts moving air to and from a forced air furnace, central air conditioner, or heat pump are bit energy wasters due to air leaks. Older homes especially. How would you like to have a 20% increase in airflow? It’s possible. Start with the attic, crawlspace, unheated basements or garages. Duct sealants with mastic or metal backed foil tapes are usually best. Upon completion wrapping them in insulation keeps them from getting hot in the summer or cold in the winter. Next try sealing additional ducts accessible or open to view. Action Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning and Electric, Inc. can come out and inspect for you, and provide a bid to make it happen.
If a replacement HVAC system is eminent, please consider installing new ENERGY STAR qualified heating and cooling equipment. If your current HVAC equipment is more than 10 years old, or it’s not keeping you comfortable then it’s time to make that change happen. You could be saving up to $200 more a year with this new system. It makes good sense also to go ahead and seal all the ducts and insulate to maximize performance. Usually these are the biggest issues to early replacement and are probably the real challenges that will make the most performance difference even in a brand new unit. Maximize your % of savings across the board.
Proper Installation of New Equipment
Replacement with new energy efficient models is a way to begin getting savings and great performance, however if improperly installed, you could increase inefficiency up to 30%, and this costs you more across the board. If you have questions call Action Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning and Electric, Inc.. We are in business to serve the entire Madison, Middleton, Waunakee, Sun Prairie communities.
Call Action Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning and Electric, Inc. and schedule one of our qualified staff professionals to meet with you to discuss your current heating and air conditioning annual check up needs. Here is our convenient location to serve you: Sun Prairie, WI: (608) 837-3638 when you need an expert for all your heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical needs…
Call us today & get started on making changes in your home or business in the Madison, Middleton, Waunakee, and Sun Prairie communities that will save you money!
If you need some Action now, you can click here to schedule service online now!
to the rescue 24/7
Fill out the form below and one of our team members will reach out promptly to schedule your service.
Why Choose Action?
Fast, Affordable Service from a Team You Can Trust
- 100% customer satisfaction guarantee
- Clear and upfront pricing
- Licensed and insured technicians
- Same-day water heater installation
- 24/7 emergency services